6/27/12

Book Review: MY RUTHLESS PRINCE by Gaelen Foley



This was my first time reading a book by Gaelen Foley and it definitely will not be my last time reading one of her novels!  Ms. Foley deftly uses words to paint a vivid picture of her world and draws readers in effortlessly.  I am truly looking forward to reading her back list, especially the first three books in her Inferno Club series.
Emily Harper has been in love with Drake, the Earl of Westwood since the two were children running around on Drake’s family estate.  This love has driven Emily to come to Drake’s rescue from the evil Promethians.  Believing Drake has turned his back on The Order, Emily follows him to Bavaria to try to find the good man she believes he truly is and bring him back home with her.  
Drake, finally remembering what his mind tricked him into forgetting, tries to protect Emily from danger.  At first passing her off as a servant, their time together in close quarters allows Drake to realize that Emily is the one woman he truly cannot live without.  This muddies Drake’s plan to exact his revenge on his torturers and his plot to finish off the Promethians for good.
The reader is drawn in by the adventure and passion from the first paragraph.  Emily and Drake are strong leads and the love between the two characters is strong and effortless.  I was pleasantly surprised that Ms. Foley didn’t do the usual “break them up” plot hitch at all in the story.  Once Drake and Emily admit their feelings to one another, the couple is together.  
One could quibble that at some points Ms. Foley has the characters use dialog that is a little too modern for the time period.  And that’s really the only flaw I found in the book and it didn’t really detract from the story overall.
I highly recommend this novel for fans of Ms. Foley’s, readers who love alpha male heroes and fans of well written novels.  I do caution that it is better to have read the first three books of the Inferno Club series before jumping into this one.  While I had no problem getting into the story, I feel I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the earlier novels first.
Readers, do yourself a favor and pick this book up!  Your weekend will thank you!
I was able to review this book early because I was generously approved to read an ARC from NetGalley.

Please note this review was originally published on 2/4/2012 at my old Mysterious Romance Review Blogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment